|The Magistrates, Town-Council, and Community of Dumbarton v. The Magistrates and Town-Council of the City of Glasgow
||19 Nov 1771
||Interpretation of acts of Parlament
||In 1770, Parliament passed legislation for improving the navigation of the River Clyde to the city of Glasgow. The act empowered the Magistrates and Town-Council to repair and enlarge the quay on the north side of the river, and build a new one on the south side. The legislation allowed the Glaswegian magistrates to levy a duty on river traffic, to which the Magistrates and Community of Dumbarton claimed exemption based on a 1770 contract between the two burgs.